Prof. Avv. Bruno Assumma
For over forty years, Prof. Avv. Bruno Assumma has specialized in the defense of white collar crimes, including bankruptcy, banking, taxation, employment, health and safety, environmental, and corruption offenses. A professor of Criminal Law at the University of Naples, he frequently serves as consultant to the Chamber of Deputies on legislative initiatives on the topic of financial crimes. Prof. Avv. Assumma is also a foremost expert in Legislative Decree. N. 231/01 compliance programs, having created programs for many of the largest companies operating in Italy.
Admission: Licensed to practice in Italy since 1973.
1973 to present - Senior Partner - Studio Assumma
Managing partner of Studio Assumma, a boutique firm founded in 1932 by his father, Beniamino Assumma. The firm is composed currently of Prof. Avv. Assumma and six attorneys, focusing on corporate compliance and white collar crime defense.
1975 to present - Professor of Criminal Law — University of Naples Federico II
IV Chair of Criminal Law in the Faculty of Jurisprudence.
2000 to present - Scientific Director— NOIKOS NIKE Istituto di Ricerca, S.r.l.
2013 to date - Commission Member— ODCEC
External member of the Anti-Money Laundering Commission of the Ordine dei Dottori Commercialisti e degli Esperti Contabili di Roma [The Association of Chartered Accountants and Accounting Experts of Rome].
2001 to date - Guideline Author - Confcooperative and Federcasse
Author of the Compliance Program Guidelines for Confcooperative (the Italian Association for Cooperatives with over 19,000 members) and Federcasse (the Italian Association of Cooperative Banks with approximately 480 members).
2001 to date - Commission Chair - Confindustria
Chair of the Commission formed by Confindustria (The Italian Industry Association with over 150,000 members) to prepare Guidelines for Legislative Decree. n. 231/01Compliance Programs.
1998-1999 - Commission Chair - C.N.E.L.
Chair of a commission formed by C.N.E.L. (Consiglio Nazionale dell’Economia e del Lavoro: The National Council of Economy and Labor) to study administrative and criminal sanctions in taxation matters. C.N.E.L. presented the Commission’s report to Parliament as a proposal for legislative reform.
1997 to 2000 - Commission Member— Ministry of Justice/Ministry of Finance Ministerial Commission
Member of the Ministerial Commission, jointly formed by the Minister of Justice and the Minister of Finance, for the reform of crimes in taxation matters. Prof. Assumma was appointed by the Minister of Justice as an expert on the subject.
1994 to 1995 - Chair - Comitato di Sorveglianza - Banca d’Italia
Chair of the Comitato di Sorveglianza [Board of Inspection], on appointment by the Banca d’Italia, Italy’s central bank.
1982 to 1984 - Commission Member— CNR
Member of a commission supported by CNR and directed by Prof. Cesare Pedrazzi, on the theme of Economic Crimes. The work included an in-depth study of the investigation methods and means of intervention in countries including the US, England, France, Germany.
1982 - Project Leader/Author
In collaboration with Prof. Gustavo Visentini and Prof. Francesco Vassalli, participated in the drafting of a Proposta per il riordinamento delle agevolazioni finanziarie alle imprese [Proposal for the reorganization of tax concessions].
1981 - Project Leader/Author
Author, together with Prof. Gustavo Visentini and Prof. Antonio Nuzzo, of a monograph entitled, La disciplina delle sanzioni in materia valutaria e dei rapporti commerciali con l’estero. [The Regulations on Sanctions in Monetary Matters and Trade Relationships with Foreign Countries], as well as organized conferences on monetary matters.
1980 to 1981 - Project Leader/Author — Associazione Bancaria Italiana
Author, in collaboration with Prof. Gustavo Visentini and under an appointment by the Associazione Bancaria Italiana [Italian Association of Banks], to undertake a project to reform the banking laws, in particular the drafting of the criminal provisions.
2004 to present - Lecturer l’Accademia della Guardia di Finanza
1997 to 2000 - Scientific Director — LUISS School of Management
Scientific Director of a course on the Laws on Economic Crimes
1996 to 2003 - Scientific Director — LUISS
School of Management
Scientific Director of a course on White Collar Crime
1994 to present - Supervisor – Financial Crimes Conferences - Consiglio Superiore della Magistratura
Supervisor collaborating with the Scuola di Formazione del Consiglio Superiore della Magistratura, (the educational training program run by the self-governing body of Italian judges and prosecutors) to design and present conferences on financial crimes.
1994-2001 - Chair of Criminal Law — University of Molise
1980 to present - Instructor - Scuola Tributaria della Guardia di Finanza
Instructor at the Scuola Tributaria della Guardia di Finanza [Tax School for the Italian Taxation and Customs Police] on Legislazione e tecnica dei controlli del settore valutario [Legislation and Methods of Control in the Monetary Sector] Diritto Penale Tributario [Tax Crimes] and Diritto Penale dell’Economia [Financial Crimes].
1979 - Permanent Researcher - University of Naples Federico II
Permanent researcher appointed by the Chair of Criminal Law of the Faculty of Jurisprudence at the University of Naples.
1978-1982 - Instructor - University of Naples Federico II
Instructor of Diritto Penale Commerciale e Bancario [Commercial and Banking Crime Laws] for the Scuola di Perfezionamento (a post-graduate specialization program) of the University of Naples Faculty of Jurisprudence.
1975 – 1979 - Instructor - University of Salerno
Instructor awarded a four-year teaching contract with the University of Salerno Institute of Criminal Law.
1973 - Fellowship Recipient — University of Naples
Recipient of a biennial fellowship for didactic and scientific training assigned to the Chair of the Institute for Criminal Law and Procedure of the University of Naples Faculty of Political Science.
March 2015 to present - Member - Scientific Committee of La Rivista della Guardia di Finanza [Journal of the Italian Taxation and Customs Police]
2000 to present - Co-Director - Giurisprudenza delle imposte [Tax Law journal]
1992 to present - Columnist — La Rivista della Guardia di Finanza
Author of a column on “Diritto penale dell’economia” [Economic Crimes] in the La Rivista della Guardia di Finanza [Journal of the Italian Tax and Customs Police].
1988 to present - Contributing writer — Il fisco [The Treasury]
1988 to present - Contributing writer — Giurisprudenza delle imposte [Tax Law]
Contributor to the journal, published by Giuffrè and edited by Assonime, on the topic of Tax Law.
- Assumma, B. (2014). Soggetti in posizione apicale e modelli di organizzazione dell’ente – l’Organismo di Vigilanza [Persons in Top Positions and Company Organizational Models – The Supervisory Body] in Levis, M. and Perini, A (Ed.), La responsabilità amministrativa delle Società e degli Enti, D.lgs 8 giugno 2001, n 231 [The Administrative Responsibility of the Company and the Entites, Legislative Decree n. 231 of June 8, 2001]. Bologna: Zanichelli.
- Assumma, B. (2010). Il ruolo delle linee guida e della Best Practice nella costruzione del modello di organizzazione e di gestione e nel giudizio di idoneità di esso [The Role of Guidelines and Best Practices in Organizational Models and the Management and Judgment of Suitability of It]. La responsabilità amministrativa delle Società e degli Enti. N. 4 October – December 2010, p. 193.
- Assumma, B. (2005) Trasformazioni socio-economiche e nuove forme di devianza. In particolare la criminalità degli affari. Adeguatezza dei sistemi di controllo [Socio-economic Transformations and New forms of Deviance. In Particular the Criminality of Businesses. Adequacy of Systems of Control]. Rome.
- Assumma, B. (2000). Aspetti criminologici dell’attività d’impresa [Criminological Aspects of Corporate Activity]. Rome.
- Assumma, B. (2000). Aspetti criminologici della recente immigrazione in Italia [Criminological Aspects of Recent Immigration in Italy]. Rome.
- Assumma, B. (1995). Riciclaggio di capitali e reati tributari [Recycling of Capital and Tax Crimes]. Rassegna Tributaria. p. 1779.
- Assumma, B. (1994). Sospensione condizionale della pena [Conditional Suspension of the Sentence] in Enciclopedia Giuridica [The Encyclopedia of Law]. Rome: Treccani.
- Assumma, B. (1994). Danneggiamento [Damages] in Enciclopedia Giuridica [The Encyclopedia of Law]. Rome: Treccani.
- Fiore, C., Assumma, B. and Baffi, E. (1992). La responsabilità penale nell'esercizio dell'impresa [Criminal responsibility of administrators and financial documentation and activities controllers of corporations] in Gli illeciti penali degli amministratori e sindaci di società di capitali [The Offenses of the Directors and Auditors of Corporations]. Milan: IPSOA.
- Assumma, B. (1988). Profili d'incostituzionalità dell'art. 4 n. 7 della L. n. 516 del 1982 in relazione alla nozione di "dissimulazione" accolta dalla Cassazione [The Profile of Unconstitutionality of Article 4 n.7 of Law N. 516 of 1982 in Relation to the Notion of ‘Concealment’ accepted by the Court of Cassation]. Giurisprudenza delle Imposte, n. 1.
- Assumma, B. (1988) Relazione illustrativa degli artt. 4, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, 21, 23 (Revisione della normativa bancaria) [Explanatory advice in relation to Articles 4, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, 21, 23] (Revision of the banking provisions).
- Assumma, B. (1988). Brevi osservazioni sulle modifiche della legge penale valutaria [Brief observations on the Modification of the Law on Monetary Crimes.] Diritto della banca e del mercato finanziario, n. 2.
- Assumma, B. (1988). Omesso versamento di ritenute fiscali: una preoccupante interpretazione della Cassazione dell'inciso "effettivamente operate” [Omission of Withholding Tax Payments: A Worrying Interpretation of the term “effectively function” by the Court of Cassation]. Il Fisco, n. 39.
- Assumma, B. (1987). La dissimulazione di componenti positivi del reddito nell'opinione della Cassazione: considerazioni critiche [The Concealment of Positive Components of Income in the Judicial Opinion of the Court of Cassation: Critical Considerations]. Il Fisco, n. 33.
- Assumma, B. (1987). Avvelenamento, adulterazione o contraffazione in danno della salute pubblica [Poisoning, Adulteration or Counterfeiting Damaging to Public Welfare]. Digesto, IV ed.
- Assumma, B. (1987). Abbandono o interruzione di uffici, impieghi o servizi pubblici o di pubblica necessità [Abandonment or Interruption of Offices, Employment or Public Services or Services of Public Necessity]. Digesto, IV ed.
- Assumma, B. (1986). La disciplina penale degli appalti pubblici nella normativa antimafia [The Criminal Regulations for Public Tender in the Anti-corruption Rules]. Rassegna giuridica dell'energia elettrica, n. 1.
- Assumma, B. (1986). Reati valutari (Aspetti generali) [Monetary Crimes (General Aspects)] in Vassalli, G. (Ed.). Dizionario di diritto e procedura penale. [Dictionary of Criminal Law and Procedure]. Milan: Giuffrè.
- Assumma, B. (1984). Aspetti della disciplina valutaria nell'interpretazione giurisprudenziale. Prospettive di riforma [Monetary Regulation Perspectives in Jurisprudential Interpretation. Prospects for Reform]. Notiziario della Scuola di Polizia tributaria della Guardia di Finanza, n. 1/1984
- Assumma, B. (1984) La sospensione condizionale della pena [The Conditional Suspension of the Sentence]. Naples: Jovene.
- Assumma, B. (1984). I delitti tributari [Tax Crimes]. Florence: Nardini.
- Assumma, B. (1984). Le pene accessorie nei reati tributari [Ancillary Penalties for Tax Crimes]. Le Società, n. 5/1984.
- Assumma, B. (1984). La rilevanza giuridica dell'errore nei reati tributari [The Judicial Relevance of Error in Tax Crimes]. Le Società, n. 4/1984.
- Assumma, B. (1983). Il decreto ministeriale 12 marzo 1981 e la disciplina penale valutaria con riferimento al problema della successione nel tempo di norme extra penali [The Ministerial Decree of 12 March 1981 and the Monetary Crime Regulations with Reference to the Problem of the Succession in Time of Extra Penalty Rules]. Legislazione economica: Rassegne e problemi,157.
- Assumma, B. (1983). La responsabilità penale del professionista in materia tributaria [The Criminal Responsibility of Professionals in Taxation Matters]. Dottori commercialisti n. 3/1983, 52 ss.
- Assumma, B. (1982). Proposta per il riordinamento delle agevolazioni finanziarie alle imprese Norme penali [Proposal for the Reorganization of Tax Concession Criminal Laws]. Legislazione economica: Rassegne e problemi, 546.
- Assumma, B. (1982) Commento all'art. 66 L. 1 aprile 1981 n. 121" (Nuovo ordinamento dell'amministrazione di pubblica sicurezza) [Comment on Article 66 of Law N. 121 of April 1, 1981 (New Regulatons for the Public Safety Administration]. Legislazione Penale, p. 79.
- Assumma, B. (1981). La disciplina delle sanzioni in materia valutaria e dei rapporti commerciali con l'estero [The Regulations on Sanctions in Monetary Matters and Trade Relationships with Foreign Countries] in Visentini, G., Assumma, B. and Nuzzo, A. (Eds.), Disciplina valutaria. Florence: Nardini, p. 241.
- Assumma, B. (1980). Sulla distinzione tra figura autonoma e circostanziale di reato, a proposito del furto a danno dell'amministrazione militare [The Distinction Between Autonomous Individual and the Circumstances of the Crime, with Respect to Military Administration Theft and Damage]. Notiziario della Scuola superiore di polizia tributaria. n. 12/1980, II, 13.
- Assumma, B. (1980). Gli illeciti valutari con particolare riguardo alle principali ipotesi di reato [Currency Offenses with Particular Regard to the Main Elements of the Offense]. Rivista della Guardia di Finanza n. 3/1980.
- Assumma, B. (1979). Un nuovo profilo di incostituzionalità della disciplina del perdono giudiziale [A New Profile of the Unconstitutionality of the Practice of Judicial Pardoning]. Giurisprudenza di Merito n. 2/1979.
- Assumma, B. (1978). Sulla falsità in assegno di conto corrente commessa dal banchiere mediante falsa indicazione della località di emissione" [Forgery of Check by a Bank Employee Using a False Indication of the Issuing Location]. Giurisprudenza di Merito n. 4-5/1978.
- Assumma, B. (1975). Sulla possibilità di concedere una seconda volta la sospensione condizionale della pena a chi ha riportato precedente condanna alla reclusione [The Possibility of Granting a Second Conditional Suspended Sentence to Someonw who Previously Received a Prison Sentence]. Giurisprudenza di Merito, n. 4-5/1975.
- Assumma, B. (1975). Osservazioni sul giudizio di prevalenza o di equivalenza nella nuova formulazione legislativa [Observations on the Judgment of Preference or Equivalence in the New Legislative Formula]. Giurisprudenza di Merito, n. 1/1975.
- Assumma, B. (1974). Sulla configurabilità del reato di concussione nel protesto cambiario [The Configurability of the Crime of Extortion in the Dishonoring of a Bill of Exchange]. Giurisprudenza di Merito, n. 4-5/1974.
- Assumma, B. (1974). Sulla inapplicabilità dell'art. 598 c.p. alla comparsa di riassunzione [The Inapplicability of Article 598 of the Criminal Code to Reinstatement]. Giurisprudenza di Merito, n. 4-5/1974.
- Assumma, B. (1973). Il problema della durata massima della custodia preventiva nel caso di giudizio direttissimo a seguito di arresto in flagranza per contravvenzioni [The Problem of the Maximum Duration of Preventive Detention in the case of Direct Trial Following an Arrest for Misdemeanors]. Archivio penale 9-12/1973.
As of April 2015, Prof. Avv. Assumma has served or is serving as the President of the Supervisory Body (as provided for by Legislative Decree N. 231/01) of the following entities:
- ACCADEMIA DI SANTA CECILIA (music sector) until December 31, 2012
- AEQUA ROMA S.p.A
- ARTIGIANCASSA S.p.A. (banking sector)
- ARTIGIANSOA S.p.A. (banking sector)
- ATAC S.p.A.(transport sector)
- BANCA POPOLARE DI ROMA (banking sector)
- BIRRA PERONI (beverage sector)
- BULGARI S.p.A. (luxury goods sector– listed company)
- CAFFE’ TROMBETTA S.p.A. (beverage sector)
- CASSA DEPOSITI E PRESTITI S.p.A. (banking sector)
- CESI S.p.A.
- COTRAL S.p.A. (transportation sector) until October 27, 2014
- ELICA S.p.A. (industrial sector-listed company) until March 21, 2014
- FERROVIE DELLO STATO S.p.A. (State Railway Authority) until May 31, 2014
- FINTECNA S.p.A. - IFITALIA S.p.A. (banking sector) until July 31, 2013
- INDESIT Company S.p.A. (previously MERLONI S.p.A.) (industrial sector – listed company)
- ISTITUTO DI CREDITO SPORTIVO (banking sector)
- ISTITUTO POLIGRAFICO E ZECCA DELLO STATO S.p.A. [State Mint and Polygraphic Institute]
- IMI INVESTIMENTI S.r.l. (banking sector)
- JOHNSON & JOHNSON MEDICAL S.p.A. (pharmaceutical sector)
- MERCK Serono S.p.A. (pharmaceutical sector)
- NIDERA S.p.A. (food product sector)
- RENCO S.p.A. (industrial sector)
- SEDA ITALY S.p.A (packaging)
- SIEMENS S.p.A. (multi-sector – listed company)
- SIEMENS HOLDING S.p.A. (multi-sector) until September 30, 2012
- TERNA S.p.A. (industrial sector- listed company)
- TRENITALIA S.p.A. (transportation sector)
- TRENORD S.p.A. (transportation sector)
Avv. Federica Assumma
Avv. Assumma joined Studio Assumma in 2000, just after obtaining her juris doctorate. In 2003, she became a member of the Rome Bar and in 2009, she received a post-graduate degree in compliance from the University of Manchester.
Her focuses are corporate compliance and white collar crime and she serves on the Supervisory Boards of numerous companies. Avv. Assumma is especially versed in global compliance issues and particularly active in the pharmaceutical, medical devices and luxury goods industries.
In addition to her work with Studio Assumma, she collaborates with Noikos Νικε Istituto di Ricerca S.r.l. where she has been instrumental in designing and implementing the corporate compliance programs for some of Italy’s largest companies, including several quoted and government-held entities. From 2007 to 2015, she served as the Director of Noikos.
She often lectures on compliance and business crime issues, serving as an instructor at both the Tax Police's advanced training program (“Corso Superiore” della Scuola di Polizia tributaria della Guardia di Finanza) and the Business Law program (Master Diritto ed Impresa) run by the leading Italian business journal, il Sole 24 Ore.
Outside of the office, Avv. Assumma serves on the board of several civic and community organizations.
Avv. Assumma is a member of the ICA (International Compliance Association) and a former member of the American Bar Association, and the ABA’s Women in White Collar Crime Subcommittee.
She speaks Italian and English.
Avv. Piergiorgio Assumma
Avv. Assumma received his law degree, completing a thesis on “The Administrative Responsibility of Collective Entities and Organizational Models”. He received a post-graduate degree in compliance from the University of Manchester and served as a visiting researcher and assistant to Professor Arthur Pinto at the Brooklyn Law School, focusing his studies on Insider trading, Sarbanes Oxley Act, Economic Crimes, Corporate Governance. Avv. Assumma divides his time between economic crime related litigation and corporate compliance matters. In addition to providing corporate compliance work for commercial entities, Avv. Assumma has advised professional sports teams and arts related non-profits. He often lectures on corporate compliance issues and has acted as an instructor at the Tax Police Academy (Accademia della Guardia di Finanza) and their advanced training program (“Corso Superiore” della Scuola di Polizia tributaria della Guardia di Finanza) and the Business Law program (Master Diritto ed Impresa) run by the leading Italian business journal, il Sole 24 Ore. In addition to his work with Studio Assumma, he collaborates with Noikos Νικε Istituto di Ricerca S.r.l. and serves on the Supervisory Boards of numerous Italianl companies. Since October 2015, Avv. Assumma has been a frequent panelist on the television program, La Vita in Diretta, broadcast daily on RaiUno, where he typically discusses the criminal law aspects of current events.
Avv. Assumma is a member of the ICA (International Compliance Association) and a former member of the American Bar Association.
He is fluent in Italian and English.
Avv. Milena Castiello
Avv. Castiello joined Studio Legale Assumma in 2006, just after receiving her juris doctorate. She became a member of the Rome Bar in 2009.
Her practice focuses primarily on the areas of business law, corporate compliance and white collar crime. Her expertise includes representing companies and individuals in litigation involving Legislative Decree n. 231/01 and developing and updating corporate compliance programs.
Avv. Castiello also collaborates with Noikos Νικε Istituto di Ricerca S.r.l. and serves on the Supervisory Body of numerous domestic and multinational companies.
She is an adjunct professor on the Faculty of Law of the University of Naples "Federico II" and lecturer on criminal law at the Tax Police Academy (Accademia della Guardia di Finanza) and their advanced training program (“Corso Superiore” della Scuola di Polizia tributaria della Guardia di Finanza).
Avv. Castiello speaks Italian and English.
Avv. Andrea Landolfi
Since 2010, Avv. Landolfi has been a member of Studio Assumma. Prior to joining the Firm, he work with Studio Legale Penale Marino – Palmieri – Pasanisi in Naples. He became a member of the Bar in 2009.
Avv. Landolfi focuses on civil and criminal litigation, and in particular white collar crime. He has extensive experience in representing both companies and individuals in matters involving tax and financial crimes and violations of Legislative Decree n. 231/01.
In addition to his active law practice, Avv. Landolfi is a collaborator of Noikos Nike Istituto di Ricerca S.r.l., where is involved in the development and auditing of corporate compliance programs for domestic and multinational companies and in training corporate employees on compliance issues. He also serves on the Supervisory Bodies of several companies.
From 2010-2011, he served as an instructor the Tax Police Academy (Accademia della Guardia di Finanza) and currently volunteers as a lecturer on criminal law at the University of Naples "Federico II".
Avv. Landolfi speaks Italian and English.
Avv. Massimiliano Lei
Avv. Lei focuses exclusively on company law, white collar crime and corporate compliance issues, in particular related civil and criminal litigation and matters involving Legislative Decree n. 231/2001. He received his Juris Doctorate and a PhD in Criminal Law and Procedure from the University of Rome "La Sapienza". When entering the doctorate program, Avv. Lei placed first in Italy among those vying for entrance into the program and received a full scholarship for his studies. He has been a member of the Bar since 2001 and a member of the firm since 2002.
He has extensive experience in developing and implementing corporate compliance systems, analyzing intra-company and intra-group liability, developing corporate codes of conduct, coordinating global compliance systems and assisting in global compliance investigations. In addition to his work with Studio Assumma, Avv. Lei collaborates with Noikos Νικε Istituto di Ricerca S.r.l. and serves on the Supervisory Bodies of numerous domestic and multinational companies.
Avv. Lei is active also in numerous academic endeavors, serving as a docent at the University of Rome "La Sapienza" and frequently teaching advanced criminal law classes to some of Italy’s national law enforcement agencies, the College of the State Police (la Scuola Superiore della Polizia di Stato) and the Tax Police Academy (Accademia della Guardia di Finanza), and previously at the State Forestry Corps (Corpo Forestale dello Stato).
Avv. Lei speaks Italian and English.
Admin. Daniela Primavera
Secr. Katia Evangelista
Law firm Rome. Judicial and extrajudicial assistance Rome. Legal assistance Rome. Professional consultation Rome. Attorneys Rome. Lawyers Rome, Bruno Assumma, Piergiorgio Assumma